White Chocolate Crepe Cake
My white chocolate crepe cake is a delicious showstopper! The luscious white chocolate filling is sandwiched between layers of thin crepes and adorned with whipped cream, toasted coconut, tart passionfruit and crunchy meringue. I hope you’ll give this recipe a try! It may look complicated, but I promise it’s far easier than it seems. The result is so worth it!
- Total Time: 2 hours 25mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- 2 cups plain flour
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups full cream milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter for greasing the pan during cooking
WHITE CHOCOLATE FILLING
- 3 gelatine leaves
- 1kg store-bought custard
- 200g white chocolate broken into squares
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 1.5 cups crushed store-bought meringue
- 1/4 cup fresh passionfruit pulp (approximately 4 passionfruit)
CREPE BATTER (see note 1)
- Add the flour to a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, and slowly add the egg and milk mixture, whisking. Whisk for at least 2 minutes until smooth (you can also use an electric handheld whisk). The batter will be runny. Set aside at room temperature for 30 mins.
WHITE CHOCOLATE FILLING
- Add the gelatine leaves to a small bowl and cover them with cold tap water.
- Add the custard to a medium-sized saucepan on medium heat. Stir for 1-2 minutes or until the custard is warm.
- Add the white chocolate, and stir for 1-2 minutes or until melted.
- Squeeze any excess water from the gelatine leaves, add them to the custard and white chocolate mixture, and stir for 1-2 minutes until melted.
- Remove from heat, transfer to an air-tight container, and refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan (between 22cm-26cm) on medium heat. Brush with butter between crepes.
- Add 1/4 cup or a ladle of the mixture to the centre of the pan, tilting the pan so that the batter evenly coats the base of it.
- Use a spatula to flip the crepe, and cook for a further minute.
- Repeat the process. You will be left with 15 crepes (see note 2).
- Set the crepes aside to cool. They need to be at room temperature before assembling the cake.
- Place a crepe on the bottom of a round serving dish to assemble. Spoon over 2 tbsp of the white chocolate and custard filling. Spread evenly. If there are a few lumps in your custard, that’s fine.
- Repeat the process with the remaining custard and crepes.
- Place in the fridge for 1 hour to set (see make-ahead instructions below).
- Top with whipped cream, toasted coconut, crushed meringue and passionfruit pulp. Serve immediately.
Note 1 – This is not a sweet batter, the white chocolate and custard filling naturally sweetens this dessert. If you prefer to sweeten your crepes, add 1/4 cup of caster sugar.
Note 2 – If the batter isn’t spreading quickly or easily in your pan, add 1-2 tbsp of milk to the batter (whisk it vigorously) to loosen it.
MAKE AHEAD – Make up to 24 hours prior to your event. Follow the recipe steps up to the end of the assembly, cover the cake with cling wrap and refrigerate. When ready to serve, top with desired toppings.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate and consume within 24 hours. Not suitable for freezing.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Setting time: 2 hours