- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Whole free-range chicken (1.2-1.8kg)
- 2.5 litres of water and 3 tsp salt
- 4 carrots, peeled and halved lengthways
- 2 stalks of celery, including leaves, washed and cut into 15cm lengths
- 250g thin egg noodles
- 1/2 bunch of parsley, roughly chopped
- Extra Salt and pepper to season
- Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a medium-sized skillet. Cook onion for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Rinse the chicken (including the inside of the carcass). This creates a clearer broth.
- Place the whole chicken, stock (or salt if using), celery, carrots and cooked onion into a slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours (see the stove top method below).
- Remove the chicken, celery and carrot from the slow cooker. Shred the chicken and cut celery and carrot into bite-sized chunks.
- Place the egg noodles in the remaining liquid. Cook for 15 minutes on low heat or until noodles are cooked to your liking. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- Return chicken, celery and carrot to the broth. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Stove top method: Place the whole chicken, stock (or salt if using), celery, carrots and cooked onion into a large pot. Use more water if needed to ensure the chicken is fully submerged. Place the lid on, bring it to a boil and then reduce heat to low with the lid ajar. Cook for 1.5 hours or until the chicken is soft and falling off the bone. Remove the chicken, celery and carrot from the pot. Shred the chicken finely and cut the celery and carrot into bite-sized chunks. Add egg noodles to the pot and cook for 8 mins or until egg noodles are cooked through. Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Return chicken, celery and carrot to the pot, season with salt and pepper and serve.
MAKE AHEAD: Slow Cooker Chicken Soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Follow the recipe but do not add the egg noodles. The egg noodles will absorb too much moisture and are best added to the soup once it is defrosted. Thaw in the fridge overnight. Reheat on the stovetop and add the noodles once boiling.
LEFTOVERS – Can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave. See freezing instructions above.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8.15 hours
- Category: soup, chicken, chicken soup, slow cooker chicken soup
- Method: saute, cook
Keywords: Slow Cooker Chicken Soup, Slow Cooker Chicken Soup recipe