- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, grated or finely diced
- 2 stalks of celery, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 750g beef mince (or mince of choice)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 800g crushed tomatoes or one jar of passata
- 2 dry bay leaves
- 2 cups beef stock
- Salt and pepper to season
- Cooked pasta to serve
- Parmesan and chilli oil to serve (optional)
- Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a large, deep, heavy-based skillet. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until soft and full of flavour (do not rush this step).
- Increase the heat to high, add the beef mince and cook for 2 minutes until sealed, breaking it up as you go. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add the crushed tomatoes or passata, bay leaves and beef stock.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Cook with the lid on for 35 minutes (see note 1).
- Once cooked, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir through the cooked pasta and serve with freshly grated parmesan and chilli if using.
Note 1 – The longer the bolognese is cooked, the higher the intensity of flavour. Cook for up to 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes and adding ½ cup of water if the sauce sticks to the base of the pan.
MAKE AHEAD AND LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely in the fridge overnight before use. Reheat in the microwave.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: bolognese
- Method: deep pan
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Bolognese Sauce, Bolognese Sauce recipe