Perfect Lamb Shoulder
This recipe is a dinner party DREAM. Deceptively easy, with barely any wash-up and easy to prepare in advance. Just you, your guests and your glass of wine! The lamb shoulder is cooked low and slow in an oregano, olive oil and lemon juice marinade. It’s zero fuss, resulting in fall-apart, perfectly cooked lamb on a bed of caramelised onion and garlic. I like to serve this dish with flatbread, tzatziki and Greek salad.
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1.5–1.8kg lamb shoulder, bone-in (see note 1)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 6 small brown onions, peeled and quartered (or 3 large)
- 1 garlic bulb, skin on, cut in half horizontally
- Flatbreads or tortillas to serve
- Tzatziki to serve
- 4 tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 cucumbers, finely diced
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan).
- Marinate the lamb shoulder with the salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice and oregano. Use your hands to ensure the lamb is evenly coated in the marinade.
- Place the onion and garlic in a lidded roasting dish, rest the lamb on top and add 1.5 cups of water. Cover with the lid (or if using a regular roasting dish, cover tightly with a double layer of tin foil) and roast for 4 hours.
- You should be able to pull the lamb apart easily with a fork when it is done. If not, cover it and return it to the oven until tender.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and rest for 15 minutes.
- For the greek salad, combine the tomato, cucumber, capsicum, vinegar, olive oil, and salt in a bowl. Sprinkle with the crumbled feta and oregano.
- Serve the lamb with Greek salad salsa, flatbreads (or tortillas if using) and tzatziki.
Note 1 – Boneless lamb shoulder can be used, but reduce the cooking time to 3 hours and 30 minutes. If the lamb is not tender enough to pull apart with two forks, return it to the oven until it is.
MAKE AHEAD – Marinate and refrigerate the lamb for up to 48 hours before cooking. I like to have the onions and garlic cut up so that on the day of cooking, all I need to do is place the ingredients in the baking dish. The Greek salad can be prepared in advance too. Cut the vegetables (and refrigerate up until 48 hours before serving) but store the dressing separately. Toss the dressing with the prepared vegetables just before serving.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 2 days. Freeze for up to 2 months – Shred the cooked lamb and freeze it in an air-tight container or reusable sandwich bag. Freeze in small portions and thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave.
This recipe was inspired by Adam Liaw’s Lamb Shoulder recipe, which you can find here.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
Nic! I never cook lamb, I’ve always disliked it much to my parents and partners dismay. I’m trying to find ways I enjoy it as we’ll soon have a lot of lamb to work our way through. I made this tonight and I’m blown away by how simple, delicious and comforting it was. I served it as you suggest, with the Greek salad and flatbreads and thoroughly enjoyed every bite 👌🏻
Oh wow! This is so wonderful to hear. I think it’s so beautiful that you made this dish for your family knowing you’re not the biggest fan of lamb, but am SO happy you enjoyed it! Confession – I’m very picky with lamb myself. This recipe and crumbed lamb cutlets are my absolute favourites. Thank you so much for taking the time to write, means more to me than I can tell you! Nic x
Oh. My. Goodness. This was AMAZING!! And so so simple! I used my slow cooker. We are all recovering from COVID and I needed an easy, fresh delicious meals to nourish the family. Everyone rated this very highly and will now be on the weekly menu. Thank you so much for sharing.
Oh this was so beautiful to read, I am so glad that the meal gave you all the nourishment that you needed after being unwell you poor things! I am so glad you loved it as much as we do. Thank you SO much for taking the time to write and rate the recipe. Nic x
Making this again tonight for the second time. The first time I made it for the family for father’s day and it was a huge hit. Your recipes have changed my life. I find picking meals for the week just so simple now. Thank you so much!
Your message has made my day! Thank you so much – I am so glad you loved it as much as we do and that you’re finding planning simpler… Means more to me than I can tell you! x
Just making for the second time. So easy and delicious! Thank you
This recipe is on my list for this weekends dinner. Is the method and cooking time the same if I make it in my slow cooker?